13 January 2011

Couch to 5k- Ben's Story

Couch to 5k - C25K Running Program

I admit I'm off the wagon. Other than a light jog here and there (read: 5 minutes every month, on average) I haven't been running since the heat waves in July. I've made excuses, and rationalized that I didn't have the right shoes, that it was too hot or too cold, or I was too busy at school.

It's all crap. I didn't have the right shoes because I didn't take the proactive steps to go and buy them. It was too hot to run at noon this summer, but why not go early in the morning? Or at night? It's cold out now, sure, but doesn't exercise make you warm? And school was two and a half days a week- leaving 4 and a half for running, more than enough!

I watched this video and I cried. I'm tired of being sad, too. It isn't about how I look, but how I feel. I am always so tired. I get headaches a lot. I'm on medicine for my blood pressure. My knees ache from the effort of standing for all of ten minutes. I am that person who complains half-way through a trip to Sam's Club about how bad my legs hurt.

I'm sick of it. I'm sick of not being able to do the small amount of work it takes to keep up with my house, let alone put a dent in the clutter. This is my moment. I have a goal: I will be healthy by the time I hit 30. How will I get there? Well, starting on my 27th birthday (two weeks from today!) I will be back to running. I MISS it. I miss the pound of the pavement, the hammering of my heart, the heat, the sweat.... Somewhere in the couple of weeks I was doing C25K, I became a runner. I love that. This is not a New Year's resolution. I think people make them knowing that they often fail, giving themselves an excuse to stop when it gets hard.

This is just me, wanting to be happy again.

No comments:

Post a Comment